Tuesday, June 15, 2010

- GONE TOO SOON -

TRIBUTE TO A WONDERFUL SOUL
VIMBAI MATEKAIRE HUNGWE

“I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again”.

This version was given the title:” Do It Now" in Heart Throbs: In Prose and Verse (1905) by Joe Mitchell Chapple. Quotation adopted for Vimbai’s farewell.

Accept apologies for reaching you when you are all grieving and paying homage to Vimbai Matekaire Hungwe A.K.A VH, Vilo, babaT, Chatibwee, Chasura, Chivara, Eagle, Nyungu, musungu sungu, Mister Hungwe, VaHungwe (just to mention a few of his many affectionate nicknames and accolades. I do write here respecting all of us who are grieving, especially Anna and all those in his close family circles (both the Hungwe & Muzofas). I am using this social network, which is an invited space, only because if the most pervasive. As Vimbai's friend I believe we have work that we should carry over! This initiative is specifically targeting Vimbai’s network of friends and well wishers.

With VH’s promotion to Glory we still have work to do:I set up this blog for 3 reasons

1. To thank you for a fitting farewell that you accorded Vilo. THANKS AND EVER THANKS TO ALL OF YOU. All of you did well. Without mentioning names, you did very well to organize his final resting in the manner you did. I can only say that the send-off was worthy Vimbai’s standards that we know. I arranged for a video shooting of his last journey from the airport to Zvipani, Hurungwe. This to capture the moment for posterity and more importantly to have material that will reignite the memos of his children of Vimbai whom we loved so much. In due time I shall share how you, his beloved friends and contacts shall access a copy of his laying to rest.
2. I challenged those who were in Harare and in Zvipani when I spoke. I reiterate here again that the only way we can commemorate and remember Vimbai is continue to do good and supporting his family and the things he loved. We have work to do, and we need to do more for someone who gave us unreservedly. We need not mourn him, but celebrate his life, our association and all the good we know he did for all of us. We need to immediately do something to those close persons he left behind. This is my proposal: Please do it now, and do it for Vimbai!
3.
a) Write your condolence messages to Vimbai on blog, and email them to me too. Poems, testimonies, plain messages, eulogies, obituaries are all encouraged. I shall compile a memory book for his family. Please do not forget to send pictures you may have of you and him. I need anything you have, his articles, speeches and presentations

b) Write hope and comfort messages to Anna on her face book page, or email them to her directly to: annahungwe@yahoo.com please copy: to her kid sister on all communication: millimuz@yahoo.com; millimuz@gmail.com


c) We want your pledges for support to Anna, Tafadzwa, Asher, and Tshepo. Any support - prayers, material, in kind and financial. These pledges shall be consolidated and be followed up once we have a transparent plan and more defined family support. I do not know yet what our support and assistance would be or the form of the support you shall opt for - time and number will tell - maybe thinking aloud it could be ( a foundation, project based or a one off etc), but Komborero Choga (Manila, Philippine) and I (David Manyonga in Kampala, Uganda) started discussions over the possibility of assisting Vimbais family – we have roped in another of our friend, Sebastian Vengesayi (Hobart, Australia) to help us in mobilizing all of you. So email your pledges towards Vimbai’s support to Anna Hungwe: annahungwe@yahoo.com and copying: manyongadavy@yahoo.com; svengesai@yahoo.co.uk; and millimuz@yahoo.com; millimuz@gmail.com; komborero_choga@wvi.org

1 comment:

  1. You have done your bit and left your footsprints on the sands of time on the AHILA plane. We your survivors are challenged to keep the flag flying higher and higher in order to make your struggles not to be in vain. Vimbai, may your soul rest in the bossom of your Creator. Good night!

    ReplyDelete